Friday, October 8, 2010

Stories of Recovery: Transformed

Submitted by Anonymous; Tell Your Story, Anonymously if needed at http://ping.fm/4diPK

My story is one of God's transforming power, on both the inside of my heart and the outside of my heart. Over 2 years ago I recommitted my life to Christ. Wounds from my childhood influenced choices I made as a young girl, as a young adult and an adult--wounds that started in my mother's womb. My parents were expecting, the heart beat was strong and thus the thought was they were going to have a boy. Two months premature they received identical twin girls. My parents unintentionally projected onto me the boy they never received. This began in my mother's womb, and at a very young age I began to learn how to perform to feel valued, to be recognized, to obtain affirmation in order to not feel rejected or alone. I became my Dad's buddy, his helper and an "affirmation junky." He taught me how to play sports: basketball, baseball, golf, football. I even received a complete football uniform, helmet, shoulder pads and jersey on my 5th Christmas--my identical twin sister received a doll with all the accessories. I quickly became a "tom-girl", playing with the neighborhood boys. I wore more masculine clothing and was not really interested in wearing dresses even though my Mom did try at first. As I moved into Elementary school it became harder for me to relate to the boys and somewhat difficult to relate to the girls, so I started to become an "introvert" and isolate. My identity had been violated.

Read the full story at http://ping.fm/Bm1ar

No comments: