Monday, June 17, 2013

Food for L.I.F.E.

For those of you still hanging on a cliff for the rest of my story, I am still going to share it.  I was having trouble connecting all the fragmented pieces of my story into a cohesive one so I prayed on it and God lead me to use food as a focus to help me share my story in a way that is relateable and easy to follow. Each one of us struggles with food whether you are on the anorexic side or the bulimic side or sometimes a combination of both depending on what "stressors" are triggering you at the time. Most of my attitudes towards food has been anorexic with a few binges of bulimic in between. And many times subconsciously on  a mission of self-destruction with the careless way I took care of my body using fast food or not enough food. Although, I have had considerable healing along the way, I still struggle, as I am sure many of you do as well.

So my awareness began in 2006 when I was in my 30's, because I never dealt with the issue in adolescence. I went to the dentist in 2006 and my dentist asked me what on earth was I doing because he had never seen someone so young with such horrible gums.  I was shocked.  He began to explain that your total body health is in your mouth.  I told him that food was a necessary evil and I ate once a day because really it was a nuisance that got in the way because I would have to stop what I was doing to take/make time to eat. I think he was shocked at this point by my response. He wanted to put me on a nutrition plan and a very intense vitamin supplement regiment at the cost of several thousand dollars.  I said no thanks I can do this myself. I had been studying personal training and nutrition for years; I just had never applied to myself.

See funny thing about abuse survivors (especially sexual) is that you lose the mind body connection that goes with self-care.  You lose the connection that you are what you eat, and that your body is a very critical part of you that you need to get reconnected to and really cannot afford to ignore.

Over the next.... however long ... I want to use my story and my journey to heal others because today in 2013 I have reached optimum health in as little as six years. I saw results after the first year (2007) of making a quality decision to be a conscious eater and walk out the lifestyle of a healthy person.

We will discuss through this blog:

  • origins of food issues
  • food myths and definitions
  • research on nutrition, fasting, meal plans, and connection between abuse and food
  • helpful links for a healthy eating lifestyle
  • what scripture says about food
  • how good nutrition is key to your moods and recovery
  • food preparation tips, plans and recipes
  • more of my story
  • virtually connect with a clean eating small group
  • dinning out strategies that work
  • recovery, additions and food

We are going to have a great time and get healed in the process.  I invite you to join me on the journey of healthy clean eating and for you to add to my knowledge base the things that you have learned through your own healing and recovery.

Hugs, Micki aka Butterfly Wings
L.I.F.E. Recovery International

No comments: