Monday, June 17, 2013

stay close to Jesus

by B Hicks

It was a lady at the church where we were on staff who gave me that advice.  The advice came  just a few days after the discovery that my youth pastor husband had been sexually involved with one of the volunteers in our college group. I remember thinking of course I will stay close to Jesus but little did I know that I would really need to know what that meant as I faced the horrible months to follow.  When the flood of emotions came and bitterness would creep in, it was only living close to Jesus that I could see when my pain was turning into ugliness in my heart.  He was so gentle to remind me of His love and that He was fighting for me and to shine His light into the dark areas of my heart.  I wanted to hold on to the anger because it felt like protection to my heart.  I could validate it in my mind moment after moment but my heart would remind me otherwise.  

Staying close to Jesus meant spending time with Him.  More time than I was use to spending.  It meant remembering all the pain and agony He had experienced and believing that He would see me through all of my suffering.  It also meant trusting Him when he led me to make decisions that I didn’t understand or were difficult. I am so thankful for those individuals that were wise and offered great counsel.  So, my words of advice for you today, no matter what emotion you find yourself in, stay close to Jesus.

No comments: