Tuesday, June 11, 2013

If God cares for the birds...why not trust that He cares for us?


by B Hicks

Today, June 11, 2013, My husband and I watched as our 19 year old son boarded a flight in Orlando.  He completed Marine boot camp a few weeks earlier and is headed to school to complete his training.  He has had a rough morning.  He missed his connecting flight and has been trying to find his way all morning. 

God knows how much I enjoy cardinals.  I think they are beautiful and they really bring joy to my life.  He also knows how I reflect back to His word and the reminder of how much more He cares for us.  We have cardinals in our yard this year.  They have built a nest and I see the momma and the poppa almost every day.  Today, I am reminded of what I noticed a month or so ago.  I watched as a momma and daddy cardinal protected their baby cardinal in our backyard.  The baby bird could only fly a few feet at a time before it would land and rest.  It would start shaking and within a few seconds it was flying again.  I watched in amazement as the daddy would literally run the squirrels off that tried to harm the baby bird.  The scene was beautiful to me and I can’t help but think of the great love our Father in Heaven has for us and the people we love.  

In recovery, sometimes our flights are short, but each flight takes us closer to being whole and complete.  Sometimes those flights are painful.  Sometimes letting go of children is painful, but trusting that God cares for us, our recovery, and our children is a comfort.  

Matthew 6

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

No comments: