Friday, June 14, 2013

Things my father taught me...

 
by B Hicks

 
So, all of us grew up with an imperfect dad.  Some of our childhood’s were really terrible. Beyond belief I’m sure.  As I’ve walked this journey, I’ve come to realize we all have pain from one parent or both.  My dad was a functioning alcoholic.  I say functioning because he never missed a day of work and he provided financially for us.  However, I felt unloved and abandoned by him for most of my life.  Life was complicated and messy in my home.  However, it is our choice to forgive or stay stuck in the past reliving the hurt over and over. It hasn’t been easy but I’ve worked out most of those feelings in counseling and God has healed my hurt.

 
This Father’s Day, as my dad is getting older and I don’t know if I will have another Father’s Day with him, I decided to give him a list of all the things he has taught me.  I thought I would share these with you and pray that even out of the horrible childhood you might have experienced, you would find peace in knowing our heavenly father loves you and cares for you beyond your imagination.


Psalm 27:10
Though my father & mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me.


Things you taught me dad:
how to drive a stick shift,
how to put a worm on a hook,
how to fish,
how to drive a boat,
how to ride a bike,
to love football,
how to have a strong work ethic,
how to be a dependable employee,
how to be compassionate when someone is sick,
how to mow the lawn,
how to play shortstop,
how to enjoy a ride in an old red truck,
how to whistle,
how to moo like a cow,
that wearing a pair of pantyhose over your head to scare your own kids at Halloween is funny.



1 comment:

Career Possible said...

Hi Bonnie, so glad you are part of the L.I.F.E. Team. Thanks for blogging on Father's Day and such a great post at that about the things your Father taught you.


Micki
L.I.F.E Communications Team Volunteer